The latest technology in the automotive industry has allowed car owners to brave the road with more safety features than ever before. This includes the advancement in the wheel speed sensor installed in most modern vehicle models that are widely used by most car owners today.
The wheel speed sensor or also known as the ASB sensor monitor is responsible for the operation of the wheel’s rotation. It’s a data-collection device that measures the speed of the wheel and transmits data to systems that control the dynamics of the vehicle including the brakes, transmission, and drive axles. In an instance, if the wheel speed sensor notices that the vehicle’s wheels on the same axle don’t work at the same speed together, it sends a signal to the ABS which then would determine if anti-lock braking is required to prevent major, catastrophic consequences.
Utilization of Active Technology for Better Driving Safety
The passive sensor in wheel bearings has sailed past its prime. Through the years, the bearing technology has adapted to the modern technology requirements of modern vehicle models. The latest available technology made it possible for the Active Sensor Technology (ASB) to supersede the Passive sensor.
For example, the active sensor delivers a signal with constant amplitude and can detect even very low speeds which the former wasn’t capable of. This guarantees precision in the use of the rotary speed signal thereby improves the function of all systems associated with it.
To date, there are three different types of active sensors available:
- ACTIVE HALL EFFECT SENSOR – It’s comprised of a semi-conductor with an electronic circuit that converts the signal of the alternating current to a digital one.
- ACTIVE HALL EFFECT SENSOR IN COMBINATION WITH A MAGNETIC ENCODER SEAL ON THE WHEEL BEARING – its north and south poles generate a magnetic field of the magnetic encoder as it passes through the sensor.
- ACTIVE MAGNETO-RESISTIVE SENSORS – capable of detecting signal in complex arrangements despite the sensor’s distance from the encoder seal.
Key advantages of choosing the ASB technology
More than its precise and accurate data acquisition capabilities, this solution offers more than just that. From ABS to ESC or even Navigation, this solution delivers data that affects the overall user safety:
- ABS– allows to maintain control of the steering response, and prevents wheels from locking up during emergency breaks.
- Navigation– allows calculation of a position even without a satellite signal.
- Speed– allows the computer to display the exact speed of the vehicle.
- ESC (Electronic stability control)– improves vehicle’s stability by detection of loss of road traction.
- ASR (Anti-Slip Regulation)– regulates the acceleration of the wheel and prevents wheel slippage.
ASB technology is used as original equipment on over 80% of vehicles worldwide and 90% of vehicles in Europe. Today, 100% of the available third generation of wheel hub bearings are equipped with this technology are manufactured with a global standard by the leading ASB bearings manufacturer. Additionally, an ASB Detector card can be helpful for you to manually and quickly check the magnetized seal likewise, the location of the sensor in the bearing.
Sourcing the best quality for your vehicle has never been this accessible and easy. The very first step to make is to reach out to your trusted technical support provider for better knowledge regarding the support that you may need for your vehicle. Always remember that the right support will never compromise your safety for the sake of substandard service quality. Invest in the right technology for better security.